April 23, 2008

Replacing Shingles

Once again I am replacing shingles on my garage roof. As far as the house roof goes, it needs completely replaced. I did get twenty years out of it, although I should have replaced it after about ten! The garage has been losing shingles every winter since they have been on. Always on the North side and always in the same general areas. Even though the winds that cause the damage are quartering out of the Southwest, the North side always takes the brunt of it all. I have never lost a shingle on the South side of the roof where the wind more or less gives a direct hit. I also had to replace a section of aluminum fascia that the wind took off at the peak of the garage. Five years ago my garage door buckled in two and I also lost all of my roof rafters during another one of the now "common" wind catastrophies that have occured here. I have included some pictures here to give anyone interested an idea of how to go about replacing shingles. Basically you will need just a hammer and a flat crow bar. You will have to break the seal of the next two shingles above the one that needs replaced. Both of these shingles have nails that are holding the remainder of the damaged shingle fast. Once you break the seals with the flat bar you will need to get under the shingles, again with the flat bar, and pry the nails up and then out until you can remove the upper half of the damaged piece. After that, you can slide your new shingle back into position and nail. You will also need to re-fasten the shingles that you just got done prying the nails out of. Try to do this when your shingles have cooled off. Too much heat will make the seal very sticky and hard to pry apart where-as the seal will break easier in the morning or evening hours. Once I get done replacing the damaged shingles I will "glue" them back down with a rubberized caulking sealant to help prevent another blow-off. In some of the pictures you can see where I had replaced this same area before and tried to re-seal with a clear silicone caulk. Must of been all I had at the time because I know better than that!

1 comment:

Janee Martin said...

Wow its really very helpful, Thanks for sharing these links. The most important part of building a custom home is finding the right custom home builders. If you have any more pics, and tips and tricks for how you did that I would love to hear them!!