March 18, 2008

Where to Start


The title sums it up. Although in this case it is somewhat misleading for I "started" on this home remodeling/renovation nearly twenty years ago. It still carries some weight though because there are so many projects to start, let alone finish, that it can be a bit overwhelming.

My intention with this blog is to begin a series of home remodeling projects, some large and some small, and to share them with people who have a similar interest and could possibly benefit from my experiences that I encounter with the renovation of this rather large country farmhouse situated in Northwest Ohio. Hopefully, week after week, I will continue this home renovation until the job is finally finished.

I bought this house somewhere in the summer of 1988. It cost me a whopping $10,000! The biggest mistake I made was the "I'll pay for it as I go" mentality. In other words, I took out a small loan, just enough to purchase the house with a little left over to start on some of the remodeling. That didn't last long.

To this day, twenty years later, I still have never taken out another loan for this house. Sure, it's paid for. A long time ago. But in retrospect I would have done it differently if I were to do it all over again.

No comments: